BBC Learning English: The English We Speak – Eye candy (with transcript video): Feifei and Finn chat about a party they went to last night. Finn had a very good-looking woman with him and everybody was curious. Was she his girlfriend? Listen to the programme to find out.
Hello. I’m Feifei and with me in the studio is …
Hey, do you feel a bit tired, Finn? Well, I do. What a party yesterday!
Yes, it was good, wasn’t it? Great food, plenty to drink…
Now… forgive me for being nosey but…you said you were too busy working to have a love life. So… who was that beautiful woman you were with?
Ah, that was … just a girl I know…
Come on, Finn, don’t be so mysterious. Everybody was looking at her. She looked like a supermodel! Is it serious? No offence, but how did you manage to attract a woman like that?
What do you mean? I’m very handsome! But she’s not my girlfriend…
Just some eye candy, then?
That’s not fair. I mean, yes she’s beautiful – but eye candy means someone who is attractive, but not very interesting…
I know – just teasing! It sounds like you like her…
Err, OK then, I do quite like her…
Ooh, you admitted it!
We can also use eye candy to talk about things which look good but are not very useful. Let’s hear some examples.
I was going out with this gorgeous footballer but it didn’t last. He was just eye candy.
This illustrated cookbook looks good but you can never find the ingredients for the recipes. These pictures are just eye candy!
Well, the party was fun anyway. And you know what? Today I’m going on a date with a guy I met there.
Mmm… is this the beginning of a romance, Feifei?
Oh, no. He’s very boring, actually.
Just some eye candy then?
Well… we’ll see. But I want to make all my friends jealous!
The English We Speak – Eye candy (Transcript Video)
- The English We Speak – Treading on eggshells
- The English We Speak – To make a monkey out of me
- The English We Speak – Take a rain check
- The English We Speak – Hot potato
- The English We Speak – Use your loaf
- The English We Speak – There’s method to my madness
- The English We Speak – Skeleton in the closet
- The English We Speak – In good nick
- The English We Speak – Get lost!
- The English We Speak – Cheap and cheerful
- The English We Speak – Haven’t slept a wink
- The English We Speak – A bitter pill to swallow
- The English We Speak – Bubbly
- The English We Speak – Potty
- The English We Speak – Good Egg
- The English We Speak – I’m game
- The English We Speak – Phone slang
- The English We Speak – That’ll put hairs on your chest!
- The English We Speak – Crystal clear
- The English We Speak – Fancy someone
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L3: The Business of English Video Series
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L2: My Australia
- L3: CNN Student News with transcript
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L3: Pride and Prejudice AudioBook
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: