BBC Short Dramas: Alice in Wonderland 2 – The pool of tears: Alice can’t stay the same size for more than a few minutes! When she’s big, she cries a pool of tears. What will happen to her when she gets smaller again?
Hello! Alice is having some very curious adventures at the bottom of a rabbit hole. She drank a drink that made her very small indeed. But she wants to grow bigger so that she can reach the key that will unlock the tiny door to a beautiful garden. After eating some cake she found in a little glass box, Alice started to feel something …
Curiouser and curiouser! I’m growing! My feet are so far away. Goodbye feet! How will I put my shoes and socks on, I wonder? Ouch!
Alice grew so big that her head hit the ceiling! It was easy to reach the table now. She picked up the tiny key and rushed to the door. But in her excitement, she forgot something again…
Ohhhh… this is hopeless! I’m much too big for this door now! I’ll never get into the garden! I can only look through the door with one eye! Oh…
Alice was over nine feet tall, and when a girl that big cries, the tears are big too. Alice cried and cried until half the hall was filledwith a salty pool of tears. After a time, Alice heard a little pattering of feet in the distance. She dried her eyes to see what was coming.
Oh! I’m late! I’m so very late! I was told to be early and I’m going to be late. The Duchess will be waiting. Oh my! Oh my! She will be so very angry with me! Oh my!
The sight of The White Rabbit, splendidly dressed in his best clothes, and carrying a large fan and a pair of white leather gloves was enough to stop Alice’s tears.
If you please, sir…
Oh!! Oh my!
Don’t go! I won’t hurt – Oh dear! You’ve dropped your gloves… But look: what a pretty fan. And crying is such hot work. Oh, that’s better. Oh dear… how strange everything is today. Yesterday things were normal. But today I’m not sure if I am the same girl who woke up this morning. But, if I’m not the girl who woke up this morning, the question is, “Who am I?”
Alice fanned herself while she talked. She felt much cooler. But after a minute or two, something started happening.
Oh: Here’s that feeling again.
Then something kept happening. Alice kept fanning herself.
I don’t believe it. I must be… I am! I’m growing smaller again. Smaller than the table. Hello feet! It’s good to see you again.
Soon Alice was smaller than ever. She was still shrinking and shrinking and she didn’t know why.
Oh dear – I’m getting very small. Oh… I’m getting much too small! Oh dear – I shall fade away altogether! Ohh…! The fan? The fan!
Just in time. Alice threw the fan on the floor, so she wouldn’t get any smaller.
That was a lucky escape! But now I’m small enough to get into the garden!
Poor Alice! There she stood at the little door – but it was locked again. And there was the little key, back in its place, out of reach, on the table.
Oh not again! This is hopeless. I’ll never get that key now. I so badly wanted to see the garden. And things are worse than ever – I’ve never been so small as this in my life. Never!
Things were as bad as ever. And they were about to get worse…
And poor little Alice fell into a pool of her own tears. Luckily, she knew how to swim. But she wasn’t the only one who had fallen into the pool. Next time, Alice meets a dodo, tries to make friends with a mouse, and joins in a very, very curious race. Goodbye.
if you describe things as curious you mean they are strange; if you describe a person as curious, it means they’re interested in everything
the top part of a room
the water that comes from your eyes when you cry
an object made of material or paper that you move up and down, or from side to side to make cold air
shrinking (verb: shrink)
get away from a difficult or dangerous situation or place
BBC Short Dramas: Alice in Wonderland 2 – The pool of tears (Transcript Video)
BBC Short Dramas – Alice in Wonderland
- BBC Short Dramas: Alice in Wonderland 1
- BBC Short Dramas: Alice in Wonderland 2
- BBC Short Dramas: Alice in Wonderland 3
- BBC Short Dramas: Alice in Wonderland 4
- BBC Short Dramas: Alice in Wonderland 5
- BBC Short Dramas: Alice in Wonderland 6
- BBC Short Dramas: Alice in Wonderland 7
- BBC Short Dramas: Alice in Wonderland 8
- BBC Short Dramas: Alice in Wonderland 9
- BBC Short Dramas: Alice in Wonderland 10
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L3: The Business of English Video Series
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L3: CNN Student News with transcript
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L2: My Australia
- L3: Pride and Prejudice AudioBook
- L1: Living English Video Series
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: