IMDb: 7.9 We still live in the shadow of ancient Rome – a city at the heart of a vast empire that stretched from Scotland to Afghanistan, dominating the West for over 700 years. Professor Mary Beard puts aside the stories of emperors and armies, guts and gore, to meet the real Romans living at the heart of it all.
Stars: Mary Beard, Silvia Orlandi, Antoni Pugi Palerm
Meet the Romans with Mary Beard Part 1
In this programme, Mary asks not what the Romans did for us, but what the empire did for Rome.
She rides the Via Appia, climbs up to the top seats of the Colosseum, takes a boat to Rome’s port Ostia and takes us into the bowels of Monte Testaccio. She also meets some extraordinary Romans: Eurysaces, an eccentric baker, who made a fortune out of the grain trade and built his tomb in the shape of a giant bread oven; Baricha, Zabda and Achiba, three prisoners of war who became Roman citizens; and Pupius Amicus, the purple dye seller making imperial dye from shellfish imported from Tunisia. This is Rome from the bottom up.
All Roads Lead to Rome with English subtitles
Meet the Romans with Mary Beard Part 2
In this programme, Mary descends into the city streets to discover the dirt, crime, sex and slum conditions in the world’s first high-rise city. This Rome is not the marble Rome we know, but a vast, messy metropolis with little urban planning, where most Romans lived in high-rise apartment blocks with little space, light, or even sanitation. Forced outdoors into the city streets, she reveals where they went to hang out, get drunk, have sex and get clean. She looks at the Forum as a place of gamblers, dentists and thieves, and she explores the lustiness of Roman bar life and jokes.
Streetlife with English subtitles
Meet the Romans with Mary Beard Part 3
In this final episode, Mary delves even deeper into ordinary Roman life by going behind the closed doors of their homes. She meets an extraordinary cast of characters – drunken housewives, teenage brides, bullied children and runaway slaves – and paints a more dynamic, lusty picture of Roman family life.
Mary uncovers their preserved beds, furniture and cradles, tries on Roman wedding rings and meets some eccentric wives like Glyconis, praised by her husband for liking a drink or two, and Allia Potestas, who lived in a Roman ménage a trois.
Behind Closed Doors with English subtitles
- Free to Play (2014)
- The Internet’s Own Boy: The Story of Aaron Swartz (2014)
- The Incredible Human Journey (2009) Part 1-3
- The Incredible Human Journey (2009) Part 4-5
- Meet the Romans with Mary Beard (2012)
- The Proposal (2009)
- One Day (2011)
- Forget Me Not (2010)
- (500) Days of Summer (2009)
- Lord of War (2005)
- Unfaithful (2002)
- Keith (2008)
- The Man from Earth (2007)
- Hawking (2004)
- Girl with a Pearl Earring (2003)
- Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog (2008)
- Love at First Hiccup (2009)
- The Recruit (2003)
- The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena (2009)
- The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (2004)
- The Count of Monte Cristo (2002)
- Reign of Fire (2002)
- Pretty Woman (1990)
- Trap for Cinderella (2013)
- Play the Game (2009)
- L3: China232 ESL Podcast
- L4: Fox News Sunday with transcript
- L2: My Australia
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L3: VOA News transcript videos
- L3: CNN Student News with transcript
- L2: Reuters Short Videos
- L3: Pride and Prejudice AudioBook
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L4: Wait Wait… Don’t Tell Me!
Source: YouTubeMore Series for You: