Teacher Luke: Here’s another improvised story, this time about a dog that can speak perfect English.
In this episode I decided to improvise another story for you. A lot of listeners really liked episode 125. The Pink Gorilla Story (full transcript available), which I improvised into a microphone earlier this year. I received some very nicely written messages from people saying they’d like more of that kind of story on Luke’s English Podcast, so here is another one in a similar style. You’re a fan of Lukes English Podcast which means you must be a bright minded person, so I’m sure you’ll get a kick out of The Talking Dog Story!
The story is based on an old joke about a talking dog. The joke is usually just a minute long, but I decided to extend the joke into a longer story. Most of the details in this episode are just improvised while I talk. I’m just making it up off the top of my head. As a learner of English, your challenge is to keep up with me. Can you follow what is going on? Do you get the self-referential elements and the surreal or ironic humour? Can you identify the punch-line to the joke? I’m sure you can if you listen! As you are a fan of Luke’s English Podcast you are probably the kind of person who understands and appreciates this kind of humourous story telling. So, get stuck in!
Keep listening to the end, because you’ll hear the short version of the story told by someone else. If you fancy it, why not have a go at transcribing some of this. It’s a really good way to develop your English in an intensive way.
Enjoy the story. You can listen to it by clicking “play” on the embedded player at the top of this page. You can download it by right clicking on the ‘download’ text, also at the top of this page.
All the best, and have a great day.
More Teacher Luke’s English Podcasts
- Teacher Luke – A Cup of Christmas Tea with… Paul Taylor
- Teacher Luke – A Cup of Coffee with… Sarah Donnelly 2
- Teacher Luke – British Comedy: Ali G
- Teacher Luke – A Cup of Coffee with… Sarah Donnelly
- Teacher Luke – British Slang (H to M)
- Teacher Luke – The Talking Dog Story
- Teacher Luke – I’m leaving Podomatic… and moving to Audioboo.fm
- Teacher Luke – Google Questions
- Teacher Luke – British Slang (D to G)
- Teacher Luke – Backing Up Into The Cloud
Improve your listening skills: Luke’s English Podcasts
- Teacher Luke – English Podcasts Part 13
- Teacher Luke – English Podcasts Part 12
- Teacher Luke – English Podcasts Part 11
- Teacher Luke – English Podcasts Part 10
- Teacher Luke – English Podcasts Part 9
- Teacher Luke – English Podcasts Part 8
- Teacher Luke – English Podcasts Part 7
- Teacher Luke – English Podcasts Part 6
- Teacher Luke – English Podcasts Part 5
- Teacher Luke – English Podcasts Part 4
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L3: The Business of English Video Series
- L4: Wait Wait… Don’t Tell Me!
- L4: Freakonomics Radio Podcast
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L3: Pride and Prejudice AudioBook
- L4: Fox News Sunday with transcript
- L3: VOA News transcript videos
- L3: CNN Student News with transcript
- Documentary Films with English Subtitles