BBC Learning English: The English We Speak – Makeover (with transcript video): When you make lots of changes to something so that it looks completely different, fresh, new and much better – you’ve given it a makeover.
Catherine: Hello you’re listening to The English We Speak with me Catherine.
Feifei: Catherine? Is that you? Wow!! I almost didn’t recognise you there! You look totally different!
Catherine: Yes, it’s me. What do you think?
Feifei: You look… Different! You’ve had your hair cut – and it’s a different colour!
Catherine: Do you like it?
Feifei: Well yes I do! It’s very different to your normal hairstyle! But it really suits you – and it makes you look a lot… Younger!
Catherine: Younger in a good way, i hope…
Feifei: Most definitely! And, let’s see… You’re wearing a new jumper… New shoes…
Catherine: Do you like them?
Feifei: Well yes! Normally you wear quite dark colours… But these are so bright! You look really pretty!
Catherine: Thanks, Feifei!
Feifei: It’s true – but something else is different… Let’s see… Aha! Your eyeshadow… Blusher… Lipstick – you’ve completely changed your make-up!
Catherine: Oh the make-up? Yes, that’s different too. Everything’s different, in fact! I’ve had a makeover.
Feifei: A makeover? I said you’ve changed your make-up. What’s all this about a makeover?
Catherine: Yes, I’ve changed my make-up. And I’ve changed my hairstyle and the type of clothes I wear too. When you make lots of changes to something so that it looks completely different, fresh, new and much better – you’ve given it a makeover.
Feifei: Ohhh… You’ve completely changed your appearance so that you look better, fresher, nicer. That’s a makeover. What verbs go with makeover?
Catherine: Have a makeover, give something a makeover, get a makeover, need a makeover. Here are a few examples:
- I was so fed up with the way my husband dressed. He looked so untidy all the time! I threw out all his old clothes and took him shopping for a complete new wardrobe. Now he’s had a makeover, he looks as handsome as he did when we first met.
- – This room looks so old-fashioned! It really needs a makeover.
– Yes, if we paint the walls and change the curtains it will look so much better.
Feifei: So not only people but also things can have makeovers.
Catherine: You can give almost anything a makeover, Feifei. Even you can have a makeover – I’ll take you shopping if you like! We can start with your hair – a nice short cut I think would suit you, then get you a nice new pair of skinny jeans, and change your makeup, and get…
Feifei: I’m quite happy with the way I look, thanks. I don’t think I need a makeover.
Catherine: Oh, OK, sorry.
Feifei: That’s OK.
Catherine: Just a haircut then…
Catherine: Colour change maybe? A little bit of red here and there?
Feifei: I do not need a makeover.
Catherine: Well, if you change your mind, you know where I am! Now I must be going, I’m going to give my living room a makeover and there’s a sale on at the furniture shop.
Feifei: Well, good luck with that Catherine.
Catherine: Thanks Feifei. Join us again for more The English We Speak.
The English We Speak – Makeover (Transcript Video)
- The English We Speak – Treading on eggshells
- The English We Speak – To make a monkey out of me
- The English We Speak – Take a rain check
- The English We Speak – Hot potato
- The English We Speak – Use your loaf
- The English We Speak – There’s method to my madness
- The English We Speak – Skeleton in the closet
- The English We Speak – In good nick
- The English We Speak – Get lost!
- The English We Speak – Cheap and cheerful
- The English We Speak – Haven’t slept a wink
- The English We Speak – A bitter pill to swallow
- The English We Speak – Bubbly
- The English We Speak – Potty
- The English We Speak – Good Egg
- The English We Speak – I’m game
- The English We Speak – Phone slang
- The English We Speak – That’ll put hairs on your chest!
- The English We Speak – Crystal clear
- The English We Speak – Fancy someone
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L3: CNN Student News with transcript
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L3: The Business of English Video Series
- L3: Pride and Prejudice AudioBook
- L2: My Australia
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: