In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with beans.
1. To be full of beans
2. I haven’t got a bean
3. Spill the beans
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man. And today I’m getting together with these beans to teach you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by a bean before! Never been taught by a bean before … ha ha!
Been taught by a bean… ho ho! So funny!
My favourite drink.
It comes from beans.
I’ve had a several cups of coffee today. Actually, I’ve had one, two…ten cups of coffee!
That’s why I’m full of beans!
In English, if someone is full of energy, we can say he’s ‘full of beans’.
To be full of beans.
Like this coffee. And like me – Ow!
Oh, that’s not very good
What’s that you say? You want to borrow some money. You haven’t got a bean?
In English, if you have no money at all you can say ‘I haven’t got a bean’.
I haven’t got a bean.
Well, alright then, I’m actually a very wealthy man. How much do you want?
Go on help yourself.
Have you been having fun? Ha ha! Get it? Been having fun…
Oh, hang on a moment. It’s my mobile.
Yes… oh really? Can’t tell me… but why? Just tell me a little bit. Oh come on you can tell me!
Spill the beans!
In English, if we want someone to tell us something secret, we can say to them ‘spill the beans’.
Spill the beans.
Just not on your favourite shirt.
More BBC Idioms
- BBC sport idioms – Horse racing
- BBC Animal idioms – Horse
- BBC sport idioms – Football
- BBC Animal idioms – Insect
- BBC Body idioms – Foot
- BBC Transport idioms – Drive
- BBC Body idioms – Leg
- BBC Food idioms – Beans
- BBC Transport idioms – Boats
- BBC Transport idioms – Miles
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L2: My Australia
- L2: VOA American Stories
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L2: English Slang Dictionary
- L2: Shepherd Grammar
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: