In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with beans.
1. To be full of beans
2. I haven’t got a bean
3. Spill the beans
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man. And today I’m getting together with these beans to teach you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by a bean before! Never been taught by a bean before … ha ha!
Been taught by a bean… ho ho! So funny!
My favourite drink.
It comes from beans.
I’ve had a several cups of coffee today. Actually, I’ve had one, two…ten cups of coffee!
That’s why I’m full of beans!
In English, if someone is full of energy, we can say he’s ‘full of beans’.
To be full of beans.
Like this coffee. And like me – Ow!
Oh, that’s not very good
What’s that you say? You want to borrow some money. You haven’t got a bean?
In English, if you have no money at all you can say ‘I haven’t got a bean’.
I haven’t got a bean.
Well, alright then, I’m actually a very wealthy man. How much do you want?
Go on help yourself.
Have you been having fun? Ha ha! Get it? Been having fun…
Oh, hang on a moment. It’s my mobile.
Yes… oh really? Can’t tell me… but why? Just tell me a little bit. Oh come on you can tell me!
Spill the beans!
In English, if we want someone to tell us something secret, we can say to them ‘spill the beans’.
Spill the beans.
Just not on your favourite shirt.
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Transport idioms – Road
- BBC Idioms – Halloween: idioms of fear
- BBC sport idioms – Boxing
- BBC Animal idioms – Bird
- BBC Colour idioms – White
- BBC Animal idioms – Bee
- BBC Food idioms – Beans
- BBC Food idioms – Egg
- BBC Food idioms – Tea
- BBC Colour idioms – Red
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L1: The History of English
- L2: My Australia
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L2: Daily Dose of English
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: