In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with beans.
1. To be full of beans
2. I haven’t got a bean
3. Spill the beans
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man. And today I’m getting together with these beans to teach you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by a bean before! Never been taught by a bean before … ha ha!
Been taught by a bean… ho ho! So funny!
My favourite drink.
It comes from beans.
I’ve had a several cups of coffee today. Actually, I’ve had one, two…ten cups of coffee!
That’s why I’m full of beans!
In English, if someone is full of energy, we can say he’s ‘full of beans’.
To be full of beans.
Like this coffee. And like me – Ow!
Oh, that’s not very good
What’s that you say? You want to borrow some money. You haven’t got a bean?
In English, if you have no money at all you can say ‘I haven’t got a bean’.
I haven’t got a bean.
Well, alright then, I’m actually a very wealthy man. How much do you want?
Go on help yourself.
Have you been having fun? Ha ha! Get it? Been having fun…
Oh, hang on a moment. It’s my mobile.
Yes… oh really? Can’t tell me… but why? Just tell me a little bit. Oh come on you can tell me!
Spill the beans!
In English, if we want someone to tell us something secret, we can say to them ‘spill the beans’.
Spill the beans.
Just not on your favourite shirt.
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Animal idioms – Monkey
- BBC Colour idioms – White
- BBC Colour idioms – Green
- BBC Animal idioms – Fish
- BBC Animal idioms – Bird
- BBC Body idioms – Leg
- BBC Colour idioms – Blue
- BBC Body Idioms – Hair
- BBC Body Idioms – Head
- BBC Food idioms – Fruit
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L2: Daily Dose of English
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L2: Learn English with engvid ESL video lessons
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L2: English Slang Dictionary
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L1: TwoMinute English
- L2: My Australia
- L2: my American friend English podcast
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: