In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with pies.
1. It’s as easy as pie
3. To have a finger in many pies
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man. And today this pie and I are getting together to teach you some English idioms
I bet you’ve never been taught by a pie before!
Now you’re probably thinking ‘It’s very difficult to learn anything from a pie’, but you’re wrong.
It’s as easy as pie.
In English, if something is very easy, we can say ‘it’s as easy as pie’.
It’s as easy as pie. Oh, excuse me. I really need a drink after all that pie.
Ah, I think I’ve had enough actually, thank you.
In fact, I’m completely pie-eyed.
In English, if someone is very drunk, we can he’s pie-eyed.
Pie-eyed. I think I need a little sleep.
Pies. Many pies.
Did I tell you my boss is threatening to fire me because I’m too weird?
But I don’t really care because I’ve got all my other jobs. On Monday I’m a fire eater, on Tuesdays I’m a brain surgeon, on Wednesdays I’m a clown, on Thursdays I’m an astronaut and on Fridays I’m… a traffic warden.
I’ve got my fingers in many pies.
In English, if a person has their finger in many pies it means they are involved in lots of different activities.
To have a finger in many pies.
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Animal idioms – Dog
- BBC Transport idioms – Drive
- BBC Transport idioms – Boats
- BBC Animal idioms – Horse
- BBC Food idioms – Fruit
- BBC Animal idioms – Bird
- BBC Transport idioms – Miles
- BBC Animal idioms – Monkey
- BBC Body Idioms – Head
- BBC Animal idioms – Insect
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L2: my American friend English podcast
- L2: English Slang Dictionary
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L2: Shepherd Grammar
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L1: TwoMinute English
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: