In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with pies.
1. It’s as easy as pie
3. To have a finger in many pies
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man. And today this pie and I are getting together to teach you some English idioms
I bet you’ve never been taught by a pie before!
Now you’re probably thinking ‘It’s very difficult to learn anything from a pie’, but you’re wrong.
It’s as easy as pie.
In English, if something is very easy, we can say ‘it’s as easy as pie’.
It’s as easy as pie. Oh, excuse me. I really need a drink after all that pie.
Ah, I think I’ve had enough actually, thank you.
In fact, I’m completely pie-eyed.
In English, if someone is very drunk, we can he’s pie-eyed.
Pie-eyed. I think I need a little sleep.
Pies. Many pies.
Did I tell you my boss is threatening to fire me because I’m too weird?
But I don’t really care because I’ve got all my other jobs. On Monday I’m a fire eater, on Tuesdays I’m a brain surgeon, on Wednesdays I’m a clown, on Thursdays I’m an astronaut and on Fridays I’m… a traffic warden.
I’ve got my fingers in many pies.
In English, if a person has their finger in many pies it means they are involved in lots of different activities.
To have a finger in many pies.
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Food idioms – Vegetables
- BBC Transport idioms – Boats
- BBC Food idioms – Beans
- BBC sport idioms – Football
- BBC Colour idioms – Silver
- BBC Animal idioms – Bee
- BBC Body idioms – Leg
- BBC Idioms – New Year: idioms of deceit
- BBC Transport idioms – Drive
- BBC Colour idioms – Red
More from the BBC
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
- L2: Learn English with engvid ESL video lessons
- L2: Reuters Short Videos
- L1: The History of English
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L2: English Slang Dictionary
- L2: My Australia
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L2: Daily Dose of English
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: