In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with pies.
1. It’s as easy as pie
3. To have a finger in many pies
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man. And today this pie and I are getting together to teach you some English idioms
I bet you’ve never been taught by a pie before!
Now you’re probably thinking ‘It’s very difficult to learn anything from a pie’, but you’re wrong.
It’s as easy as pie.
In English, if something is very easy, we can say ‘it’s as easy as pie’.
It’s as easy as pie. Oh, excuse me. I really need a drink after all that pie.
Ah, I think I’ve had enough actually, thank you.
In fact, I’m completely pie-eyed.
In English, if someone is very drunk, we can he’s pie-eyed.
Pie-eyed. I think I need a little sleep.
Pies. Many pies.
Did I tell you my boss is threatening to fire me because I’m too weird?
But I don’t really care because I’ve got all my other jobs. On Monday I’m a fire eater, on Tuesdays I’m a brain surgeon, on Wednesdays I’m a clown, on Thursdays I’m an astronaut and on Fridays I’m… a traffic warden.
I’ve got my fingers in many pies.
In English, if a person has their finger in many pies it means they are involved in lots of different activities.
To have a finger in many pies.
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Body idioms – Leg
- BBC Food idioms – Egg
- BBC Idioms – New Year: idioms of deceit
- BBC Food idioms – Pie
- BBC Animal idioms – Monkey
- BBC sport idioms – Horse racing
- BBC Body idioms – Arm
- BBC Food idioms – Fruit
- BBC Animal idioms – Horse
- BBC sport idioms – Football
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L2: my American friend English podcast
- L2: Learn English with engvid ESL video lessons
- L1: Living English Video Series
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L1: Learning English Podcast (HAU)
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: