In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with pies.
1. It’s as easy as pie
3. To have a finger in many pies
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man. And today this pie and I are getting together to teach you some English idioms
I bet you’ve never been taught by a pie before!
Now you’re probably thinking ‘It’s very difficult to learn anything from a pie’, but you’re wrong.
It’s as easy as pie.
In English, if something is very easy, we can say ‘it’s as easy as pie’.
It’s as easy as pie. Oh, excuse me. I really need a drink after all that pie.
Ah, I think I’ve had enough actually, thank you.
In fact, I’m completely pie-eyed.
In English, if someone is very drunk, we can he’s pie-eyed.
Pie-eyed. I think I need a little sleep.
Pies. Many pies.
Did I tell you my boss is threatening to fire me because I’m too weird?
But I don’t really care because I’ve got all my other jobs. On Monday I’m a fire eater, on Tuesdays I’m a brain surgeon, on Wednesdays I’m a clown, on Thursdays I’m an astronaut and on Fridays I’m… a traffic warden.
I’ve got my fingers in many pies.
In English, if a person has their finger in many pies it means they are involved in lots of different activities.
To have a finger in many pies.
More BBC Idioms
- BBC sport idioms – Athletics
- BBC Food idioms – Vegetables
- BBC Body Idioms – Eye
- BBC sport idioms – Balls
- BBC Body Idioms – Hair
- BBC Food idioms – Beans
- BBC Transport idioms – Road
- BBC Food idioms – Fruit
- BBC Transport idioms – Boats
- BBC Transport idioms – Miles
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
- L1: TwoMinute English
- L2: Shepherd Grammar
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L2: VOA American Stories
- L2: My Australia
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L1: Living English Video Series
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: