In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with insects.
1. Knee-high to a grasshopper
2. To have butterflies in your stomach.
3. To have ants in your pants
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man.
And these are insects. Today, these insects and I are going to teach you some idioms in English.
I bet you’ve never been taught by an insect before!
When I was a little boy I loved insects.
Small, wasn’t I?
In fact I was knee-high to a grasshopper.
In English, when we want to talk about someone who is very young or very small we can say they’re knee-high to a grasshopper.
Which, as you can see, is not very tall.
Knee-high to a grasshopper.
I’ve got to make a speech… in front of five thousand people. Can you imagine how I feel?
Nervous. I’ve got that strange feeling in my stomach you get when you’re feeling nervous.
Ah yes, butterflies. That’s how it feels – like I’ve got butterflies in my stomach.
In English, if we’re very nervous about something we have to do, we can say “I have butterflies in my stomach”.
To have butterflies in your stomach.
Well here I go…I hope they’re kind to me…
I’m going to meet my hero, Mr Bean.
I’m so excited. I’ve got ants in my pants.
Well, not really, but in English if you’re so excited about something that you can’t keep still you can say you’ve got ants in your pants.
To have ants in your pants.
Actually, I have got ants in my pants. Arghhh!
More BBC Idioms
- BBC sport idioms – Boxing
- BBC Transport idioms – Wheels
- BBC Transport idioms – Boats
- BBC Colour idioms – Red
- BBC Colour idioms – Green
- BBC Animal idioms – Bird
- BBC Colour idioms – White
- BBC Animal idioms – Bee
- BBC Animal idioms – Insect
- BBC Body idioms – Foot
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L2: Learn English with engvid ESL video lessons
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L2: My Australia
- L2: English Slang Dictionary
- L2: VOA American Stories
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L1: TwoMinute English
- L1: The History of English
- L1: Living English Video Series
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: