In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with insects.
1. Knee-high to a grasshopper
2. To have butterflies in your stomach.
3. To have ants in your pants
Hello, I’m a very interesting and intelligent man.
And these are insects. Today, these insects and I are going to teach you some idioms in English.
I bet you’ve never been taught by an insect before!
When I was a little boy I loved insects.
Small, wasn’t I?
In fact I was knee-high to a grasshopper.
In English, when we want to talk about someone who is very young or very small we can say they’re knee-high to a grasshopper.
Which, as you can see, is not very tall.
Knee-high to a grasshopper.
I’ve got to make a speech… in front of five thousand people. Can you imagine how I feel?
Nervous. I’ve got that strange feeling in my stomach you get when you’re feeling nervous.
Ah yes, butterflies. That’s how it feels – like I’ve got butterflies in my stomach.
In English, if we’re very nervous about something we have to do, we can say “I have butterflies in my stomach”.
To have butterflies in your stomach.
Well here I go…I hope they’re kind to me…
I’m going to meet my hero, Mr Bean.
I’m so excited. I’ve got ants in my pants.
Well, not really, but in English if you’re so excited about something that you can’t keep still you can say you’ve got ants in your pants.
To have ants in your pants.
Actually, I have got ants in my pants. Arghhh!
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Body idioms – Foot
- BBC Idioms – Halloween: idioms of fear
- BBC Transport idioms – Drive
- BBC Food idioms – Pie
- BBC Colour idioms – Blue
- BBC Transport idioms – Road
- BBC Transport idioms – Wagon
- BBC Body Idioms – Eye
- BBC Transport idioms – Boats
- BBC Food idioms – Egg
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L2: VOA American Stories
- L2: Shepherd Grammar
- L1: The History of English
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
- L2: English Slang Dictionary
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: