In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with the
1. As good as gold.
2. A heart of gold.
3. Worth its weight in gold.
Hello, I’m a very interesting, and intelligent and rich man.
And today this gold and I will be getting together to teach you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by some gold before!
And now… a metallurgy lesson.
Gold is… good.
Ah. My boss’s dog, Brian.
He asked me to look after him while he went away on holiday.
My boss says Brian’s as good as gold.
But I’m not so sure.
In English, if someone – usually a child, or a pet, is verywell-behaved, we say they’re as good as gold.
As good as gold.
There you are Brian, good dog…Ah!
Argh! Brian! Brian! Get down! No! Let go, Brian! Sit! Sit! Argh! Roll over! No, lay down Brian! ARGHGHGH!
Have you met my sister?
She’s a lovely girl, but I don’t know why… nobody seems to like her.
She’s so kind and helpful…
…that’s right. She’s got a heart of gold.
In English, if someone is very kind and helpful, we say they’ve got a heart of gold.
A heart of gold.
And next in our lesson on gold….
… heavy…and… valuable.
Um, what IS the time, by the way?
Ah, thank you.
Clocks are SO useful, aren’t they? In fact, they’re worth their weight in gold.
In English, if something is extremely useful, we say it’s worth its weight in gold.
Like my lessons. They’re worth their weight in gold.
What do you mean, my lessons are very lightweight?!
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Transport idioms – Boats
- BBC Transport idioms – Wagon
- BBC Body idioms – Leg
- BBC sport idioms – Horse racing
- BBC Colour idioms – Red
- BBC Food idioms – Vegetables
- BBC Animal idioms – Monkey
- BBC Animal idioms – Insect
- BBC Food idioms – Beans
- BBC Colour idioms – Silver
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC 6 Minute Vocabulary with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L2: Learn English with engvid ESL video lessons
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L1: TwoMinute English
- L2: A.A. Milne – Winnie the Pooh AudioBook
- L2: Reuters Short Videos
- L2: English Slang Dictionary
- L2: My Australia
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: