In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with the
1. As good as gold.
2. A heart of gold.
3. Worth its weight in gold.
Hello, I’m a very interesting, and intelligent and rich man.
And today this gold and I will be getting together to teach you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by some gold before!
And now… a metallurgy lesson.
Gold is… good.
Ah. My boss’s dog, Brian.
He asked me to look after him while he went away on holiday.
My boss says Brian’s as good as gold.
But I’m not so sure.
In English, if someone – usually a child, or a pet, is verywell-behaved, we say they’re as good as gold.
As good as gold.
There you are Brian, good dog…Ah!
Argh! Brian! Brian! Get down! No! Let go, Brian! Sit! Sit! Argh! Roll over! No, lay down Brian! ARGHGHGH!
Have you met my sister?
She’s a lovely girl, but I don’t know why… nobody seems to like her.
She’s so kind and helpful…
…that’s right. She’s got a heart of gold.
In English, if someone is very kind and helpful, we say they’ve got a heart of gold.
A heart of gold.
And next in our lesson on gold….
… heavy…and… valuable.
Um, what IS the time, by the way?
Ah, thank you.
Clocks are SO useful, aren’t they? In fact, they’re worth their weight in gold.
In English, if something is extremely useful, we say it’s worth its weight in gold.
Like my lessons. They’re worth their weight in gold.
What do you mean, my lessons are very lightweight?!
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Transport idioms – Miles
- BBC Body Idioms – Head
- BBC Food idioms – Pie
- BBC sport idioms – Ice skating
- BBC Transport idioms – Wagon
- BBC Animal idioms – Dog
- BBC Body Idioms – Eye
- BBC Food idioms – Tea
- BBC Food idioms – Fruit
- BBC Colour idioms – Red
More from the BBC
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Drama – The Race with transcript videos
- L1: BBC The English We Speak with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L3: BBC Words in the News with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L1: The History of English
- L2: Idiom 100 – commonly used idioms
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L2: my American friend English podcast
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
- L2: Learn English with engvid ESL video lessons
- L2: Reuters Short Videos
- L1: extr@ English with subtitles
- L2: The Secret Garden AudioBook
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: