In this episode, The Teacher introduces you to three idiomatic phrases connected with the
1. As good as gold.
2. A heart of gold.
3. Worth its weight in gold.
Hello, I’m a very interesting, and intelligent and rich man.
And today this gold and I will be getting together to teach you some English idioms.
I bet you’ve never been taught by some gold before!
And now… a metallurgy lesson.
Gold is… good.
Ah. My boss’s dog, Brian.
He asked me to look after him while he went away on holiday.
My boss says Brian’s as good as gold.
But I’m not so sure.
In English, if someone – usually a child, or a pet, is verywell-behaved, we say they’re as good as gold.
As good as gold.
There you are Brian, good dog…Ah!
Argh! Brian! Brian! Get down! No! Let go, Brian! Sit! Sit! Argh! Roll over! No, lay down Brian! ARGHGHGH!
Have you met my sister?
She’s a lovely girl, but I don’t know why… nobody seems to like her.
She’s so kind and helpful…
…that’s right. She’s got a heart of gold.
In English, if someone is very kind and helpful, we say they’ve got a heart of gold.
A heart of gold.
And next in our lesson on gold….
… heavy…and… valuable.
Um, what IS the time, by the way?
Ah, thank you.
Clocks are SO useful, aren’t they? In fact, they’re worth their weight in gold.
In English, if something is extremely useful, we say it’s worth its weight in gold.
Like my lessons. They’re worth their weight in gold.
What do you mean, my lessons are very lightweight?!
More BBC Idioms
- BBC Animal idioms – Insect
- BBC Colour idioms – Silver
- BBC Body Idioms – Eye
- BBC Animal idioms – Bird
- BBC Body Idioms – Head
- BBC Idioms – Halloween: idioms of fear
- BBC Animal idioms – Cat
- BBC Transport idioms – Wagon
- BBC sport idioms – Horse racing
- BBC Transport idioms – Road
More from the BBC
- L3: BBC The Reading Group
- L1: BBC How to … with transcript videos
- L3: BBC Better Speaking
- L1: BBC The Flatmates
- L1: BBC English Idioms
- L1: BBC Drama – Frankenstein with transcript videos
- L1: BBC English at Work with transcript videos
- L2: BBC 6 minute English with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Short and Easy Dramas with transcript videos
- L1: BBC Face Up to Phrasals with transcript videos
- L1: Listen to English – ESL British Podcasts
- L1: TwoMinute English
- L2: VOA American Stories
- L2: Alice in Wonderland AudioBook
- L1: The History of English
- L2: Daily Dose of English
- L2: My Australia
- L2: Study English – IELTS Preparation
- L2: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Easy AudioBook
- L2: Commonly Used American Idioms
Source: BBC Learning EnglishMore Series for You: